ABOUT NEW J
In October 15, 1965, a few hardy spiritual and God-trusting Christians came together after much prayer to consider the possibility of establishing a church. They met at 747 Carton Street, the home of Rev. L. W. Owens. At that time, they assumed the name of the Rose Hill Baptist Mission. Seven days later, services were relocated to 1033 E. York Street, and the mission was renamed New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist.
In December 1967, the membership acquired an edifice located at 1024 Holtslander Avenue. On the second Sunday in March 1968, the New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church relocated from the York Street address to the Holtslander location with a membership of 350.
The New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church became the New Jerusalem Full Gospel Baptist Church in January 1991, as the membership reached 2100, continuing to flourish both spiritually and in numbers. In July 1991, The New Jerusalem Full Gospel Baptist Church edifice was destroyed by fire. Over $650,000 in damages was incurred, but the membership was not deterred. The following Sunday, services were relocated to C.A.R.E. Inc., G-5171 N. Saginaw Street, a drug outreach facility with a church edifice on its complex.
On May 3, 1992, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for PHASE 1 CONSTRUCTION of the NJFGBC COMPLEX, including an educational center/fellowship hall on the site of the burned-out facility. Dedication of the new multi-purpose educational building was held on February 7, 1993, and named the REV. L. W. AND ELLA OWENS EDUCATIONAL CENTER with its focus on nurturing the youth of our church.
In September 1994, the beginning of PHASE 2 CONSTRUCTION of the NJFGBC COMPLEX, including our spacious Sanctuary, Chapel, Offices and Library/Conference Room began. PHASE 2 CONSTRUCTION was completed in June 1995, and was dedicated on June 25, 1995. In September 2001, a new building project to house OPERATION BLESSING began. The new location would be 1030 Charles two blocks North of Carpenter Road. This project was completed in April 2002.
On December 29, 2011, Elder Patrick W. Sanders was elected as the Senior Pastor of New Jerusalem Full Gospel Baptist Church, and was installed as Senior Pastor on January 22, 2012, beginning a new chapter in the history of New Jerusalem. Under his leadership the rebirth has begun.