About New J



In October 15, 1965, a few hardy spiritual and God-trusting Christians came together after much prayer to consider the possibility of establishing a church. They met at 747 Carton Street, the home of Rev. L. W. Owens. At that time, they assumed the name of the Rose Hill Baptist Mission. Seven days later, services were relocated to 1033 E. York Street, and the mission was renamed New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist. 
On November 21, 1965, the late Rev. L. W. Pryor, moderator of the Great Lakes District Baptist Association, presided at the official organization services of the New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church, and installed Rev. L. W. Owens as pastor. 27 Members united at that time.

In December 1967, the membership acquired an edifice located at 1024 Holtslander Avenue. On the second Sunday in March 1968, the New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church relocated from the York Street address to the Holtslander location with a membership of 350.

On the first Sunday in March 1969, Rev. L. W. Owens retired as pastor and Rev. Odis A. Floyd was unanimously elected as pastor. In 1970, the interior of the Holtslander edifice was remodeled, and in 1973, seeing the need for future expansion, the trailer property east of the church was purchased. Construction of the new church began in 1975 and completion and dedication of the new building was in May 1976. In 1980, with a membership of 800, an adjacent service station and mini-mall was acquired, and housed OPERATION BLESSING, an outreach ministry of the church.

The New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church became the New Jerusalem Full Gospel Baptist Church in January 1991, as the membership reached 2100, continuing to flourish both spiritually and in numbers. In July 1991, The New Jerusalem Full Gospel Baptist Church edifice was destroyed by fire. Over $650,000 in damages was incurred, but the membership was not deterred. The following Sunday, services were relocated to C.A.R.E. Inc., G-5171 N. Saginaw Street, a drug outreach facility with a church edifice on its complex.

On May 3, 1992, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for PHASE 1 CONSTRUCTION of the NJFGBC COMPLEX, including an educational center/fellowship hall on the site of the burned-out facility. Dedication of the new multi-purpose educational building was held on February 7, 1993, and named the REV. L. W. AND ELLA OWENS EDUCATIONAL CENTER with its focus on nurturing the youth of our church.

Several programs, which included the tutorial program, the youth fellowship activities are based in the Owens Center. The LEONARD LAMAR FLOYD SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established to further promote higher education to the youth of NJFGBC.

In September 1994, the beginning of PHASE 2 CONSTRUCTION of the NJFGBC COMPLEX, including our spacious Sanctuary, Chapel, Offices and Library/Conference Room began. PHASE 2 CONSTRUCTION was completed in June 1995, and was dedicated on June 25, 1995. In September 2001, a new building project to house OPERATION BLESSING began. The new location would be 1030 Charles two blocks North of Carpenter Road. This project was completed in April 2002. 

In May 2002, the CONSTRUCTION began on the Community Outreach for Family and Youth [ODIS A. FLOYD COMMUNITY CENTER], which includes a Computer Lab, Basketball Court, Liturgical Dance Room, Walking Track and other classrooms. The COMMUNITY CENTER was dedicated the First Sunday in January 2003.

On December 29, 2011, Elder Patrick W. Sanders was elected as the Senior Pastor of New Jerusalem Full Gospel Baptist Church, and was installed as Senior Pastor on January 22, 2012, beginning a new chapter in the history of New Jerusalem. Under his leadership the rebirth has begun.               


Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+ Instagram